Free AARP Tax Aide Tax Filing at the Wells Public Library
Get some help e-Filing your tax return
Volunteers prepare and e-file tax returns, as well as answer many tax questions. Some returns may be too complicated, or considered "Out of Scope” based on the program guidelines and volunteer experience.
You may make an appointment to have your taxes done. Call 207-710-0979, and leave a message, you will receive a call back to schedule a time to come to the library to file your taxes.
It is not necessary to make an appointment. If you do not make an appointment please wait quietly, you will be helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
- A copy of last year’s tax returns.
- Social Security cards or comparable documentation for you, your spouse, and all dependents.
- Income related documents: Forms W-2, Unemployment Compensation statements, SSA 1099, 1099R, and other 1099 forms showing income, or home mortgage interest.
- Expense related documents: Checks and forms showing federal and state taxes paid, 1098 forms, receipts or cancelled checks for medical, dental, charity, or business expenses, any vehicle and property taxes, and mortgage interest paid. Receipts need to be in order and legible.
- Brokerage Statements or other documentation showing the purchase price and date for all security or property sold or transferred during the tax year.
- Dependent Care Provider information: Name, Employer ID, Social Security Number.
- If you receive a pension or annuity from a former employer, please bring the date that you began to receive payments.
- A Check with your name printed on it for direct deposit or debit of any refund or balance due. A check in your checkbook is fine.
The Maine Residents Property Tax and Rent Refund "Circuitbreaker” Program has been repealed as part of the enacted state budget for claims beginning on or after August 1, 2013. The Circuitbreaker Program has been replaced by a refundable Property Tax Fairness Credit that can be claimed on the Maine Individual Income Tax Form. For more information about the Property Tax Fairness Credit, click here.
If you plan to file for the Property Tax Fairness Credit, please bring all documents necessary to file your taxes, as well as your Property Tax bill, or Landlord’s name, address and phone number.